I always seem to have an abundance of frozen bananas. I buy them at the grocery store every week with the intention to use them in smoothies but I never, ever use them all. And so they end up in the freezer. Banana peel and all. I would love to peel, slice and store them, but that hardly every happens.
I’m not complaining, though. Frozen bananas are awesome; even when I have to peel the frozen ones. It’s all worth it for the prize at the end of the frozen banana tunnel: Chocolate + Coconut Ice Cream (or Ice Dream as I like to call it). Frozen banana ice cream is by no means a new invention. If you want to read more about the magic of bananas and how they morph into ice cream when frozen and blended, read this.
My goal with this version of banana ice cream was to recreate my favorite vegan ice cream: Molly Moon’s Vegan Coconut Chunk. Mostly because summer is here (in Florida, at least) and ’tis the season for ice cream. Plus, I live dangerously close to this delicious monstrosity and I need a way to keep myself away from Twistee Treat:
Recently, the only way I can resist the urge to hit Twistee Treat is by shoveling this guilt free, magical, ice dream into my mouth.
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, divided
- 1/2 can (7oz) chilled (not frozen) Coconut Cream from Trader Joe's
- 1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 2 tbsp chocolate chips or unsweetened chocolate chunks
- Stevia to taste
- Put bananas, 1/4 cup shredded coconut, coconut cream and almond milk in high speed blender or food processor and combine until the mixture has the consistency of a smoothie
- Taste and add stevia as needed
- Pour into a shallow, freezer safe dish
- Top with chocolate chips and 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- Freeze for 2-3 hours
- Scoop and enjoy!
- If your ice dream is too hard to scoop, allow it to defrost on the counter top for 15-20 minutes prior to serving.
Tina ran the London Marathon this past weekend and had an amazing finish. Be sure to congratulate her!
Your turn: are you a fan of banana ice cream? Do you prefer the real stuff? Have you ever had Molly Moon’s? If not, put it on your bucket list.