The original DIY snag free hair ties from Simple Medicine. Find out how to make your very own fold over elastic hair ties in a few easy steps! #guiltfreeglam
I have really, really, really thick hair. I love it, but most hair ties do not.
My eternal battle has been deciding between a hair tie that is so tight it makes my head hurt and rips out my hair or one that isn’t tight enough and won’t properly hold my hair up.
The ideal hair tie would be able to wrap around a pony tail 3 to 4 times without snagging my hair; be able to manage a swingy ponytail or a messy bun; and be brightly colored and cute on my wrist.
Is that too much to ask?
- Fold over Elastic – I purchased mine on Etsy
- Fabric Scissors
- Measure a length of elastic equivalent to circumference of your wrist
- Add some wiggle room to that measurement, then cut your elastic
- Hold the two ends together and wrap them around one finger. Pull the two edges through the loop, being careful not to pull on the edges of the elastic. Pulling the ends will cause the elastic to fray. Instead, once you have a knot, pull the knot towards the cut edges rather than the cut edges out of the knot [does that even make sense?].
- Trim the excess material
- Voila! Snag free, super soft, DIY hair ties!
- 4/22/2013 Edit: To avoid fraying of the edges, use a candle flame to seal the elastic. Do not put the elastic into the flame, it will burn, bring it close enough to the heat source and you’ll be able to see the elastic melt – this will prevent fraying!
How easy was that?
Added Bonus: they as cute as the ones sold at Anthropologie! [and so much cheaper!]