If you’re feeling under the weather, look no further! This lovely No Vicks Winter Chest Rub is soothing, warming and perfect for those winter sniffles!
The smell of Vicks goes hand in hand with the Winter months.
At least for me anyway.
When I was kid, my mom would practically bathe me in the stuff. She’d rub it under my nose and all over my chest and back. Sometimes she’d drop a spoonful of Vicks in a pot of just boiled water and sit me next to the pot, under a blanket with a box of kleenex. She was a master Vicks-er.
And honestly, it worked. The camphor and menthol would clear my congestion and the smell was soothing and comforting.
When I’m sick, I still crave the soothing smell of Vicks.
But…(isn’t there always a but?)
Since you already know how to make a salve and you have the basics down, this will be easy.
- ½ cup organic almond oil
- 1 tsp organic Menthol Crystals
- 2 tbsp beeswax, coarsely grated
- Frozen spoons
- Place your spoons in the freezer.
- Heat the oil in a double boiler and add the beeswax. Continue stirring until the beeswax is completely melted; this will take approximately 10 minutes.
- Once the beeswax is fully melted, dip a frozen spoon in the salve and test the consistency. If you feel the salve is too thin, add more beeswax. If it's too waxy, add more almond oil.
- Remove the oil from heat, add the menthol crystals and stir until melted.
- Pour the mixture into a jar to store.
Your turn: what is your favorite way to be comforted when you have a cold? Are you a Vicks-er?