Matt and I have been working our way through Rich Roll and Julie Piatt’s new book, The Plantpower Way.
I think Rich is super lucky to have a wife like Julie. Based on what he wrote in the introduction of the book, Julie is the inspiration and guiding force behind their plant based lifestyle. She’s dedicated to creating family friendly, plant based recipes that taste amazing. After reading through their stories and looking at the images they share in the book, I have a reasonable goal of being invited to their house for dinner.
One of the first recipes we tried was the zucchini lasagna. I know you’re probably thinking: been there, done that #zoodles. But this recipe was really about the sauce. The secret tomato sauce.
Eating a plant based diet has meant giving up dairy for us. Giving up dairy means no more cheese, and lasagna without cheese? It doesn’t seem right.
But it is! Because of the Secret Tomato Sauce.
When I started making this recipe, I realized I didn’t have the exact ingredients that recipe called for. So I improvised and it was amazing. I probably could have eaten it all out of the Vitamix with a spoon.
- 2 cups of cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil with herbs and spices
- 1 cup cashews
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- In a heavy bottom pan or cast iron skillet, blacken the cherry tomatoes (do not use oil). This should take between 5-10 minutes.
- Once blackened, add the cherry tomatoes to your blender with all of the remaining ingredients.
- Blend on high.
- Adjust seasoning to taste.
The sauce totally stole the show, and I didn’t even notice that cheese was missing.
Your turn: have you tried a really great vegan pasta sauce? Are you a fan of zoodles?