I’m the first to admit that Matt and I have an (un)healthy obsession with Chipotle. Okay, it’s really more Matt than me but I am guilty of indulging in a burrito bowl almost weekly. It’s easy. It’s fast. And they have sofritas.
When Chipotle’s only vegetarian option was guac, I was totally fine with it but I would occasionally be bored by the idea of going to eat a guac bowl. Nothing against guacamole, I love it, it just wasn’t exciting because it was the same thing, every time.
Then I traveled to Chicago where Chipotle was market testing their new vegetarian option, TOFU. I got to try it before it came to Orlando and I was in love. I was literally the first person in line when they started serving it locally.
I’ve been on a tofu kick lately so I decided to try my hand at a Chipotle style version and it did not disappoint. This spicy tofu filling could top a salad, fill a burrito or be the star of your homemade burrito bowl. I served my Spicy Sofritas Tofu along side grilled corn with lime.
Tip: to expertly grill corn, leave the husk on and soak it for 15 minutes then throw it on the grill for 15 minutes. Perfect corn every time.
- 2 tbsp minced onion
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried cilantro
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2-1 tsp chili powder
- cayenne (optional for more heat)
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 6oz tomato paste
- 6oz water
- 12oz tofu, drained and rinsed
- salt to taste
- Heat 1 tbsp EVOO in a skillet and cook your onions until translucent. Add garlic, cilantro, cumin, paprika and chili powder. Stir.
- Add tomato paste and water; incorporate the spices.
- Add tofu. Shred the tofu using a mixing spoon.
- Coat the tofu in the sauce and add minced jalapeno. Let simmer for 30 minutes.
- You can increase the heat by adding more cayenne and jalapeno or by using a spicier pepper.
Your turn: what do you get at Chipotle? Have you tried the Sofritas?