Let’s be real. The holidays are when we all indulge (a little, a lot).
Thanksgiving is quite possibly my favorite day of the year. First and foremost, I love cooking. Next, I love hosting. I love decorating and making cute signs for my dishes. I love filling up cups of bubbly and watching my friends and family mingle, enjoy football and the Thanksgiving parade. It seriously fills up my cup so much.
When it comes to healthy swaps, I have to say…I don’t subscribe to those on Thanksgiving.
Wow. It feels good to admit that.
I spend a lot of time in my everyday life thinking about healthier things I can eat. I skip pasta for zucchini. I pass on rice for a big bowl of broccoli. Thanksgiving is one of the few times per year when it feels good to say “Yes, I’ll have a second glass of bubbly. And please pass the mashed potatoes.”
A few weeks ago I considered making cauli-mash this Thanksgiving because I supremely love it. But then I realized if I did that, I would probably never get the chance to make/try the recipe I found in Sunset Magazine for whipped THREE ONION potatoes. Thanksgiving is THE DAY for triple onion whipped mashed potatoes.
So, my “healthy swaps” for one of the best days of the year?
- Spend time with your loved ones instead of your cell phone
- Skip the selfies and focus on the groupies
- Play a board game rather than Candy Crush
- Toss around the football instead of writing that blog post
- Take candid pictures of and with your guests, rather than of your table or your plate (see examples above)
- And last but not least, treat yourself to a little slice of your favorite dessert but be sure to enjoy it surrounded by the ones you love
What are your non-food related healthy swaps for Thanksgiving? And more importantly, sweet potato pie or pumpkin pie?
Happy Holidays, sweet friends! I look forward to sharing the magic of these last months of the year with all of you!